Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Happy birthday to me

I'm sitting in my room, listening to Stevie Wonder's boppy version of Happy Birthday that throws in some wishes for world peace at the end for good measure. Brendan just did a geeky dance to it, so I requested a repeat performance for tomorrow morning when it will be my birthday!

Turning 29 and not really feeling it. I'm still feeling pretty young and hip (so young, like sub-10), I still watch cartoons like Arthur and the other night Brendan and I were laughing over some Peppa Pig savage comebacks and Bluey dad jokes.

I've been reading a lot of feminist stuff lately which is making me not want to get married or be a mum - though to be clear I have gradually felt more ambivalent about it as I've gotten older. Anyway, that probably deserves it's own (ranty) post.

For now, here is a gentle feminist comic about what it's like to be a mum and how that experience differs from being a dad in the aggregate. Not saying that all couples are like this. And definitely a destiny I'm desperate to avoid.

2 comments:

  1. wow!! a geeky birthday dance sounds like the best ever present XD

    I really love that comic - I remember seeing it before and thinking it does such a great job of articulating why I felt like things weren't quite equal in my old relationship ^^; awesome share~

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY OMG! don't worry age is an illusion! (to some extent)

    i am deeply chilled by that comic, thank you for sharing! feel like it points out so much that we are conditioned to not even examine but that is still such a significant ongoing issue :(

    ReplyDelete