Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Day off

Hi everyone! I took a day off yesterday because I had just handed in an assignment the night before on the back of two weeks of non-stop assignment-ing/assignment marking/interviewing.

I ended up finishing season 3 of Handmaid's Tale which I think I started at the beginning of the year and basically watched an episode every couple of weeks. I bawled in the finale where [spoiler alert] June manages to smuggle about 50 kids (mainly girls) out of Gilead to Canada. The best thing about Handmaid's Tale is its attention to character development which I think makes up for the meandering plot at times. It is very slow-moving so watch if you like heaps of emotional close-ups and not that much dialogue, and be prepared to watch pretty much every character go through some HORRENDOUS stuff.

Brendan and I have also been watching further back in time for dinner (lol). I actually quite enjoy it! This season covers the 1900s-1940s which was a pretty depressing period to be honest. Their eldest son gets sent to war in the 1910s, and because they have to go through the 1940s as well, I'm pretty sure he'll be sent to war again. Also just amazed at how much MEAT aussies ate in the 1900s. But I guess Australia was a land abundant country with lots of space for cattle grazing and more land relative to people, so maybe there was ample supply of meat. It wasn't until the WWI when they started sending their meat in cans to the troops that meat actually became more expensive back home and people started eating veggies more!

During my two-week sprint, a tiny miracle also happened. About two years ago I had a book delivery get lost in the mail and I tried to raise it with Book Depository at the time, but they were like "no can do until the books get returned to us in the mail, and we haven't got them so it's on you/your domestic post service" (paraphrased). 

Anyway! Two years later I get a random email from them telling me that the books have been returned to them and they're processing my refund!! And they gave me a 10% off voucher! Not sure if I'll use it though because I feel like Book Depository's prices aren't that great anymore (even with the 10% discount). I can usually find it cheaper on Amazon or even a local. The books that never came to me were:

  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman (which I've since read)
  • Hons and Rebels - Jessica Mitford
  • Foundation and Empire - Isaac Asimov

The other non-study related thing that has happened to me is that my passport expired in June, so I'm getting it renewed even though I won't be going anywhere haha. But I have to because I'm getting background checks etc. for my future workplace and I need a passport for that :(

Also, I graduated from my P-plates!! How scary, I have literally driven 3 hours with my Ps, and now I'm a full-blown driver. I know it's illegal, but I feel like I should still stick a learners plate on my car when I drive because I'd want people to know that I'm noob and to please be patient with me.

Most likely what will happen is that I probably won't ever drive, until there comes a day when Brendan can't chauffeur me around anymore (though maybe by then there'll be driverless cars).

Can't wait until the 5km restriction gets lifted so I can go back to our apartment and grab the rest of our stuff. (Brendan has been wearing the same 2 jumpers on rotation for 5 months). Brendan and I have also decided not to move back into our apartment. After this year, there isn't really any reason for us to stay there anyway. We would like to find a new place but I don't know how easy that will be.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh is it illegal? I thought you could at least drive with P plates, but that just means you have to follow the P plate rules.

    Where are you thinking of moving too?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure yet! But it will be inner city I think!

    ReplyDelete