It's been a while since my last post and that's mainly because it's been a pretty full-on few weeks. I was a machine with a to-do list that I ticked off without much need for breaks or rest. That was last week. Then the weekend came and maybe everything caught up to me. It was that good old time of the month so I had stomach cramps (sigh) and basically just felt like lying in bed all day.
So Brendan and I watched Pretty Woman - a dark precautionary tale about sex work in LA. From some internet site:
“It was a dark movie,” Gere mused. “But I think Jeff Katzenberg saw something in it and didn’t want to make that movie, but he saw this other movie in it.”
In fact, the original story was a cautionary tale about sex work in Los Angeles and saw Roberts’ character dies from an overdose, rather than being smooched on a fire escape as the music swells.
Late director Garry Marshall and Walt Disney Studios president Katzenberg decided to set about turning it into the Roy Orbison-themed, shopping-montage-infused romance we’re familiar with today, but it wasn’t exactly a simple task.
Hmm, isn't it interesting how things turn out? It is a bit weird since at the very start there's a dead prostitute found in a dumpster who turns out to be someone Vivian knows. But then along comes Richard Gere and they fly to San Francisco to watch the opera (just like how Tadano flies to Sapporo for ramen lol).
Brendan and I are also watching Aggretsuko S3 - we just fly through the bite-sized episodes. We also watched Boys State on AppleTV which is a half-poignant, half-tongue-in-cheek documentary about a summer boys camp in Texas which includes things like talent shows and what looks like athletics meets but also a whole system of mock government which the boys participate in, culminating in elections for the Governor of Texas among the boy candidates.
It was actually really inspiring and disappointing at the same time. Inspiring because one of the mock candidates in particular seemed like a great person. Disappointing because several boys wanted to be politicians of better integrity, but reasoned that in order to win they had to compromise their morals, political views and sledge the other side. Some of them argued that it was just how the game was played, but I think true leaders change the system for the better.
Hope everyone else has been doing ok in lockdown #39825734576! I have taken to resting my huge toy dog whom I call Doge (because I wasn't feeling original at the time) on my lap while I study. Doge has a really goofy face. We bought him from miniso a while ago.

Hi Doge! what a great face (:
ReplyDelete