Hi all, I've been watching a lot of Dawson's Creek on Netflix lately. It is basically a live-action enactment of the Catalogue of Every Relationship Problem. No wonder there's six seasons and season two is like 22 episodes long.
I used to watch a bit of Dawson's Creek because it was on after the Simpsons, but back then (when I was around eight) I had no idea what was going on and it felt like a lot of fake drama so that everyone would break up thousands of times.
Now that I'm a bit older I can actually relate to most of the problems, although not as intensely and I don't respond nearly as dramatically. Most of the dramatic build-up relies on the key characters (Joey, Pacey, Dawson, Jen) being incredibly perceptive (so that we get some nice, sweet sensitive moments) but for some reason can't turn their emotional intelligence inwards. The result is that they all lack self-awareness and can't INTROSPECT even if their life depends on it. I mean if they did, they wouldn't make half the mistakes they do and then where would we be? Joey and Dawson would've dated a million years ago and that would've been Happily Ever After.
You get to see how confused they all are which is probably the root cause of 99% of all relationship hurt. Confusion. Not knowing what you want (in a relationship context) is probably the most effortless way to hurt other people (in the sense that it's usually unintentional - but unintentional is not really good enough).
---
Anyway, so I had my first day at work today. LOTS of training videos. That was about it. I actually have to go into the office on Friday so that will be daunting. I will also be pretty much next door to where I used to work...so I guess I'll come across a lot of old haunts.
No comments:
Post a Comment