Wednesday, December 2, 2020

No one

Dear all, I'm on a blog roll lately. Which is good, because sometimes the posts on here come as often as never.

Today I came across my old high school uniform, so of course I had to try it on and show Brendan and then ask him if he would have dated me had he met me in high school. And of course he frowned and just went back to the conference call he was in the middle of. Whatever, I think my uniform looks better than his uniform. 

I also realised that the branding on my uniform says "Noone" which of course could be pronounced "noon" but could also be pronounced "no one".

I just finished reading Circe (which I loved!), and Telemachus, son of Odysseuss, tells of how his dad couldn't stand being remembered as a no one, and so took credit for the defeat of the cyclops as he sails away from the giant, thus naming himself and bringing the wrath of Poseidon upon him. So, maybe one should just be a "no one" every now and then.

2 comments:

  1. omg circe *____* i love that book so much, the end passages are so beautiful as well, have you read song of achilles? (sorry for gushing)

    also re: your previous post, i also went through a phase of oat milk but then i became dissuaded by how quickly it went bad and also was never on sale - but clearly i haven't tried the superior 'barista' types, haha! would be keen to 'help' lol

    was also interested by your dissection of childcare and market vs non-market work, i guess there really is no easy answer, but thinking only in terms of market value seems pretty dangerous in terms of a relationship (or indeed a life) - but at the same time, it feels like there is a constant pressure to in this capitalistic society =/ there must be less extreme ways of opting out than joining a commune...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought song of achilles on the weekend lol, saw it for $10. I loved Circe so much!

    I also think that thinking in terms of the market is dangerous, but then I also feel the pressure, especially whenever I work around a bunch of people who do think that way.

    ReplyDelete