Saturday, March 28, 2020

Quarantined regards,

Just saw my super statement from February 2020 (pre-covid19 times) - roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of that is probably gone now!! Made me a little sad, but then I was also like - "why was my super fund still sending statements to my old address??"

So, a general update on life - I uprooted my family (including Brendan, my soft toy duck Diddy, and my desk companions, mini Psyduck and Jiji) back to my family home, which is how I came across my super statement somewhere in my old room.

I'm moving back to hunker down for the next few months of social distancing since Brendan and I are both WFH now. My apartment was starting to feel a bit stale and the suburban sun and air is nice. Also, I wanted to give Brendan more room when he was video conferencing, and when I need to tutor via zoom.

I still feel really lucky that I somehow miraculously kept a casual job through this. Suppose I now have an essential job given I still have a job #scottyfrommarketing.

Being back at home has made me feel a lot better. Mainly it's the space, and the light, and talking to my family again. I jokingly asked my parents if they've been doing any more shopping in Dromana 😂. Dad says he's been checking the DHHS heat map of coronavirus spots to decide where to do their grocery shop. But then they felt that if they went to a suburb with no coronavirus cases people will probably respond to their mask-wearing in a hostile way. So in the end I think they're just going to do their shopping nearby. I mean we actually joked about being bashed for wearing masks - the times we live in.

Made me think that this is probably not going to be the biggest shock in my lifetime. Surely WWIII has got to happen too? 😭

Seeing all my old books and stuff has made me happier though (oh gee, there's a photo of my yr 12 home group in a display cabinet!!). I can read all the Harry Potter books again, and lots of Jane Austen too. I can also give my old room the deep clean that it really needs (why do I still have all these physics textbooks from uni!!??). And try out some sewing projects as an alternative to chucking out/donating my old clothes.

All this staying at home, with the pause in teaching, makes it very hard to stop thinking about things I shouldn't think about. Well rather, people. I mean, I suppose it is grieving for a loss in some sense, so I just need to give it a bit of time though it's hard not to get impatient with myself.

EDIT: well here I am scrolling the internet in a 30 square meter bedroom, making jokes about grocery shopping while listening to someone mowing their lawn outside, with plenty of mental and financial capacity to still go about most of my daily work and then this in New York. Imagine being an undocumented migrant with no health insurance and now, no job. Lining up for hours outside a hospital to get tested, where 13 deaths occurred in a 24 hour period in said hospital. I keenly feel my privilege, and just goes to show that a crisis like this will end up revealing how unequal society is and how close to the margins a lot of people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment